E-mail from Sunday, September 25th, 2016
We're home! After three days hopping trains, with one night in Verona, we finally arrived at home in one piece. Brrrrr.... What a cold this morning at 9 o'clock when we got out the night train in Utrecht. Fortunately it became warmer so we could take our traditional end-of-vacation-dive in to the North Sea at 11:15 this morning.
- total distance: 2989 kilometres (grrr... just short of 3000)
- cycled through 10 countries
- 29 crossed borders
- 19 kilometres up and 19 kilometres down (vertically that is)
- Highest altitude was 2115 meters (at the Splügen Pass at the border with Switzerland and Italy)
- 2 flat tires on Remy's bicycle. The first at departure time (in our garden) and the second on the camping in Rome.1 defective brake leaver on Remy's bicycle
- Remy was very unlucky this trip since he also got sick for 5 days
- 2 half days with rain.
- the highest temperature we saw on a sign was was 37º C
- and now we're going to look at 2494 pictures (0.83 pictures for each kilometre) A selection will be posted on my website in due time.
Next year we want to go to Great Britain and cycle from 'end to end': from Land's End in the most south-western part of Cornwall up to John O'Groats in the most north-eastern part of Scotland.
Thanks for 'cycling with us'!
Remy & Gea
View over Verona from campsite San Pietro